28.8.08

Brahms: Violin Sonata No. 3 in D minor, Op. 108 / Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115

1. how you come across to it:
Random search in HMV, dated back to my secondary school days. This violin sonata is the very first piece which drew me to Brahms.

2. why this piece?
In fact I have been trying to avoid Brahms deliberately, especially his violin sonatas, the most intimate one among his chamber music. I didn't mean to listen to him, but somehow it finds its way back to me.

3. (and...)
Brahms's music is hopelessly romantic and heart-melting as ever. He could have softened the hardest soul.

4. (also...)
If Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata could inspire Tolstoy to write a novella, sometimes I wonder why there is no literary output based on Brahms' chamber music.

Richter + Oistrach playing III. Un poco presto e con sentimento
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9mI0OdJrA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brahms' music has inspired Max Klinger to produce a series of engravings dedicated to the master, titled "Brahms-Phantasie."
This is one of more the famous one:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Max_Klinger_Brahms-Phantasie.jpg#file