16.8.08

Faure: Dolly

1. how you come across to it:
Got to know this work at a friend's studio. I find this piece like a French china vase placed in a noble household. It is lovely, intimate and of course, very French and bourgeois.

2. why this piece?
Played it with Kitty at our class concert. The more I play this piece, the more I enjoy the finely crafted subtleties in the harmony, which are constructed in a very refine way.

3. (and...)
Faure wrote this piece for the daughter of his mistress at that time, Emma Bardac, who married Debussy later. She is also the mother of Chou-Chou, whom Debussy composed Children's Corner for.

By the way, I'm looking for someone to play Dolly together. Let me know if you're interested.

2 comments:

LC said...

Is Faure in love with her too?

Anonymous said...

you mean in love with his mistress's daughter, Helene? i think she was still a small kid.

it is said that the lovely 2nd movement, "Mi-a-ou", is a portrait of Helene (nicknamed Dolly) of her attempts to pronounce her brother's name, Raoul (that remind me of an occasion when 湘雲 mistakenly called 寶玉 as 愛哥哥 instead of 二哥哥).

so i guess she was only around 2-4 years old?