21.1.09

Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No. 1

1. how you come across to it:
The first time I hear it is preparing for the RTHK TV score-cuing. That's a late discovery for anybody serious in music. That's me. I've repeated the music in office and that was annoying to the level that I got complain from my colleagues. They are serious music lovers and are bothered by that high-tension music and brutally repeating motif.

2. why this piece?
I can't stand but to play this again when I was trying to review another cello item. This is irrepressible.

3. (and...)
Maybe except Han-na and Rostropovich, all others could be trashed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This work is indeed irrepressible. There was a time I listened to a Rostropovich recording (BBC) repeatedly too. Another work I find addictive is Shostakovich's Piano Trio No. 2.

Usually I'm drawn to this 2 works when I'm high-strung or being rather cynical, which is often a display of disappointment on humanity, for some reasons. Do you have any preference on which Rostropovich recording to listen to?