4.1.09

Silvestrov: Silent Songs

1. how you come across to it:
The CD has been with me at the moment once it is available on the market. But sometime in 2007 when I attempted to survey all the Silvestrov pieces, I dig up my still mint copy of it and listened the entire song cycle. I was stunned, and gradually I switched off all the lights to listen to it again. Eventually in 2008 I listened to the entire cycle a few times, and on 1 Jan 2009 I picked it up again, and it was my first piece that I listened in 2009.

2. why this piece?
Almost the entire set require the Baritone soloist sung in sotto voce, and pianist una corda. The whole thing comes like a noctural whisper from a chain of laments. Without any loud passages, one felt totally alone and with one's spirit immensed in this 2 hour song cycle.


3. (and...)
This little film used Song No. 5 of the cycle - "Farewell, o world, o earth". May mail you lyrics if interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kuno, could you email me the lyrics? thanks in advance.